13 March 2011

Spring Fever!

I had a request for a hiking/camping cake for a relatives birthday. As I was making it, I thought back to all the camping memories that I have. There aren't many as an older teen/adult (unless you count field time in the military...haha), but many great memories as a child. Anyway, I went about making this cake which had a lot of firsts for me. They wanted an orange cake, so I made about three different cakes before I got the right taste (or what I thought might be the right taste as I have never had orange cake before). I have also never used other foods beside cake or icing to decorate.

The trees trunks are Honey Wheat Pretzels with green icing piped around the top. I used gramcrackers covered in icing for the tent and the chair. The little marshmellow is really a marshmellow...which brings us to the only unedible piece on the cake and the is the toothpick that the marshmellow is on.

With all of this camping and outside fun on my mind, I found myself wishing for the summer and sunshine more than ever before. Spring break is just arond the corner. Maybe I can get my fill then, but that's another post altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment