05 January 2010



200

That's exactly how many days are left in my contract with the Army. I am surprised though...the closer the time gets the more I realize how much I am going to miss the ways of the military. I am NOT saying that I will miss the 0400 formations, people yelling at me for doing what I was told to do in the first place, or the hours standing around for someone to come in and dismiss you. I am also VERY excited about starting again. It is like getting another chance at your life without having to go through high school again!

But at the same time, I will miss the family aspect of it. Just last night I had dinner with my soldiers. We work together, yet we can spend time together outside of work and still have things to talk and laugh about. I will miss going through any place and being able to see another soldier and automatically strike up a conversation with them like we have known each other for years. I will miss the drive that I feel when I salute the flag every morning and the pride I feel listening to Taps every night.

I am getting out of the military for many reasons, but today for some reason I can't remember any of those. All I can think of is the mission. My soldiers are getting ready to go to war in Afghanistan. I won't be there. I might have spent sometime in Iraq, but part of me feels like a deserter, leaving my "family" at the time they need me the most.

So for me today, though part of me is giddy with joy and adventure, there is a part of me that is reserved and reflective about the time spent and the people that I heave learned to care so deeply for.

No comments:

Post a Comment