27 January 2010

The waiting game....


I left you with me laying in bed waiting for my referal to go through...

I will take this part a little slow and do some complaining along the way. I went into the emergency room on Friday because my headache was so bad that I couldn't even stand up by myself. They gave me pain meds, which did help a little, and sent me home to wait for the referal that the computer had in it from the TBI clinic. During the next six days, I laid in bed by myself. The only person going in or out of my room was my soldier SPC Mitchell, who into eternity I will never be able to thank enough for all she did. She brought me lunch every day and checked on me every morning. These days passed in a blur for me. I got out of bed to go to my bathroom or get something to drink. That is it. I felt like I was going to die and at times the pain got so bad that I wanted to. I would lay there with all the lights in my room off so that I could bear to have my eyes open. I didn't want to talk because the noise bothered my head too bad...it was pretty bad. Some how my church family found out and got me some food and did my laundry and well, now we all know why we are supposed to belong to a body of believer's. God's away from home family care plan! I hated the fact that I couldn't do anything for myself, but at the time I didn't even think about that. On Thursday night, my commander finally stopped by my room. He said that he would go to the clinic and see if he couldn't speed things up. Unknown to him, my parent's were already on the way down to Ft Polk to help me.

This brings us to the next Friday...seven days after the emergency room. My commander calls me at 0800 and says that he has gotten me an appointment in Brook's Army Medical Center (BAMC) for the next Tuesday. To which I asked him, what I was supposed to do until then??? How was I supposed to get food? Or make it to the bathroom safely? I had started passing out at times and the pain was increasing each day. After a little back and forth and my dad...ummm...talking (oh so nicely I am sure) to several people on the phone, I got an appointment to see a doctor at Ft Polk. I was waiting in there for what felt like forever, lights and noises bringing on a pain that is too intense for words doctor after doctor would ask me the whole story from Iraq to present. Then I felt it...
the calvary had arrived!

1 comment:

  1. Not to mention a sister who stormed the phones of our nations capital for you!!!

    ReplyDelete