17 March 2010

You know its a bad day...

Not even gonna go into it. But here is the product!



It isn't one of my greatest...I like the design, especially the weave, but I think it needed the stars on the bottom layer too. You might be able to see, the top layer is offset (not intentionally), so that kinda throws it off too! And I am still having trouble getting my icing consistency right. If you look close you can tell that the white icing is too thin, and the brown icing is a little too thick. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. I really like the rope design. What icing recipe do you use? Sometimes if you refigerate the icing when it's to thin it'll thicken up enough to spread it smoothly. I've never made a tier cake before but I've heard that you can use 2 toothpicks and some thread to make a circle maker and trace and outline to get it centered.

    Who eats all of these cakes?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was wondering who eats all of these cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! Have you thought about going to culinary school when you go back to civilian life? You have skills girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, you forget...though I might have my own room...I share an apartment complex with over 2,000 BOYS! Need I say more...oh yes, I do...these boys only have caffeteria food...other than mine of course! Guess that erases ALL questions!!

    And yes, Melody I have thought of culinary scool, butam not sure yet...I really love adrenaline! LOL so I am still a little undecided.

    Eliza Rae, THANKS for the advice...I will have to try that. I used a buttercream frosting, but one of the reasons that the decorative icing was too thick was I added cocoa but forgot to leave out some of my powder sugar. Anyway, I will have to keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a little milk will also thin it out. I've been making my own icing too - making a Barbie cake for Lydia's party tomorrow. I'll post pictures if it turns out :) So glad I found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete